Passport Express Inc - Passport Office in Atlanta & Roswell

A Guide To Renewing a Minor’s Passport: What Every Parent Needs to Know

A Guide To Renewing a Minor's Passport: What Every Parent Needs to Know

When it comes to international travel, passports are non-negotiable. But what happens when the passport holder is a minor? How to renew a passport for a minor is a question that often leaves parents scratching their heads. Unlike adult passports, which last for ten years, a child’s passport is only valid for five. This article aims to demystify the process of renewing a minor’s passport, offering a step-by-step guide for parents.

Why Can’t You Just Renew a Minor’s Passport?

Firstly, it’s essential to understand that you can’t technically renew a minor’s passport. Instead, you’ll need to go through the same issuance procedure as you did the first time. This is because children change in appearance quickly, and the U.S. Government wants to ensure both parents approve of their child having a passport. This quick expiration allows the government to re-confirm parental consent every five years.

Required Documents: What You’ll Need

How to renew a child’s passport involves gathering all the required documents and taking your child to a Passport Acceptance Agent. Both parents or legal guardians need to be present. If one parent can’t attend, they’ll need to sign and notarize form DS-3053. You’ll also need to submit your child’s expiring passport and their original birth certificate.

The Application Process: A Step-by-Step Guide

When it comes to how to renew a minor passport, the procedure remains the same as applying for a new one. You’ll need to gather all the necessary documents, including the expiring passport and your child’s original birth certificate. These documents serve multiple purposes, from proving U.S. citizenship to confirming your relationship with the child.

Read more: When Should You Get Your Child A Passport?

What Happens When Your Child Turns 16?

Once your child turns 16, they will be eligible for an adult passport. However, they won’t be able to renew their minor passport; they’ll need to apply for a new adult one. If you applied for your most recent passport when they were 14, that minor passport would remain valid until they turn 19.

Making the Right Choice: Passport Book vs. Card

When renewing a passport for your child, you’ll also need to decide between a passport book and a passport card. To help you make an informed decision, check out our blog post on passport books and cards.

Take Action With Passport Express

When it comes to where to renew a child’s passport, look no further than Passport Express Inc. Authorized by the U.S. Department of State, we specialize in expedited passport and visa services. For those facing urgent needs, visit us for more information on emergency passports in Atlanta.

More Posts


Send Us A Message